Saturday, February 14, 2015

Egg Retrieval: Complete

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  Hope everyone is enjoying it with their loved ones or loving themselves all the same.

Damien and I spent the first half of it at St. David's Fertility Surgery Center for my egg retrieval procedure.  It was a quick, easy procedure and I was in good spirits.  It's a little funny to be making babies so mechanically on Valentine's Day.  I'm amazed that in the face of fertility impediments or impossibilities, humans can still take eggs and sperm, create an embryo, and eventually transfer that embryo that hopefully results in a pregnancy.  Medicine is amazing!

I get to St. David's at 8AM and am greeted by cheerful nurses that explain everything, have me sign consent forms, and give me an ugly gown to wear. One of the nurses tries to start an IV in my left elbow pit and my vein is uncooperative, as expected.  Boo to my left elbow pit!  The surgery nurse comes in and starts an IV in my right elbow pit with 0 problems and I start getting fluids.  They wheel me back to the surgery room and I hop up onto a skinny table that is barely wider than me.  Seriously, how do they keep the normal-sized people on there?  The anesthesiologist gets to work in no time because as I'm placing my arms on the awkwardly positioned arm boards and telling them how awkward it is (the tumor gets in the way of left arm mobility), I pass the eff out.  He probably did that to shut me up :x. Lady, quit complaining, you're not even gonna be feeling this.

I wake up like 25 minutes later and it's done! I always wake up so confused and kinda pissed that I missed everything.  At least I got to keep my glasses on and could see where I was going.  I'm wheeled back to the room and get crackers, water, and 2 percocets.  The crackers after a surgery are always so yummy!  They become the best-tasting things I've ever eaten because I've had to fast since midnight and forgo breakfast.  Never mind that it's only 10AM and on normal days that I don't eat breakfast, I can usually survive with minimal whining until noon.  We leave the surgery center around 10:15.  So quick!

We pick up my resized ring, pick up lunch, and go home so I can rest. I ate my first real meal that isn't the BRAT diet in days - a chicken teriyaki bento box. I'm feeling good so far but the cramping is starting. I took about a 4 hour nap and here I am now!  I'm still cramping (a little worse now actually).  I feel like I did when I got my IUD put in so I'm confident I'll feel fine tomorrow.

Damien's gonna be making me steak for valentine's day!!!! Bye everyone

2 comments: