Saturday, June 27, 2015

Cycle 5 - Chemos #9 and #10

Dear readers!  Sorry for the delayed updates - life has been slowly happening and writing it down is sometimes overwhelming to me.

Since I've talked to you last, I've finished cycle 5 of my ABVD chemo!  I had treatment #10 yesterday.  Only 1 more cycle (2 more treatments) to go!  This month has gone by pretty quickly.  My parents and brother came down the weekend of Father's day and we got to celebrate that and my mom's birthday.  I hadn't seen my parents in over a month so that was nice.  They got back home Sunday night to a busted 2nd floor toilet and a flooded house :(  Talk about stressful.  I've been trying to handle their insurance claim while they clean and pack up the house.  The ceiling above their kitchen caved in from the water and they've got massive damage to several rooms.  Our family's been through lots of shitty stuff this year.

I'm still chugging through treatments.  I asked my oncologist about the next steps and he said he wouldn't be surprised if I had to go through radiation because of the tumor in my chest.  A radiation oncologist would have to look at my case after my next PET scan (scheduled to happen sometime after chemo ends).  The future is still uncertain, which is frustrating to say the least.

Some positives: after treatment yesterday, I got a shoulder massage from a massage therapist who sets up shop every couple of weeks there.  It was divine.  BUT I was also kind of high on Ativan (to help with nausea) so my perception was definitely clouded.  I've also been getting massages with the awesome wonderful Kristen at Heart and Sole Massage every other week after treatment.  I had scheduled a massage on a whim about a month ago a few days after treatment because I just felt so stressed out and my shoulders were basically glued to my neck.  And it was the best thing EVER.  I was instantly stress-free and float-y (without being drugs hah), so I've been going back a week after treatment.  I hold my stress in my shoulders, neck, and jaw and Kristen just knows how to work it all out.  I cannot recommend her enough.  KRISTEN.  HEART AND SOLE MASSAGE.  GO NOW.  but don't take all the slots.

Also, how about that SCOTUS decision about gay marriage :D

SO I have run out of things to write about!  If you have any questions, ANY at all, leave a comment and I will answer.  When I first started this cancer journey, I scoured for blogs about hodgkin's lymphoma and reading others' experiences helped me prepare so I want to do that for others.

Here are some things I would've wanted to know:

1.  Not everyone loses all of their hair!  Case-in-point: me.  I was told to expect hair loss but wasn't told to what extent.  I ended up losing massive amounts of hair, but I had a ton to begin with.  My hair grows like a motherfucker so you can't really tell I'm a cancer patient.  People have said I "look really good".  Why thank you!  I aim to please your eyeballs.
1a.  Your pubes will fall out, but not everyone discusses that in their blog.  Mine haven't all fallen out but again YMMV (your mileage may vary).
2.  Getting fluids after your treatment will make you feel SO MUCH BETTER.  fluids = saline.  I get a liter bag 1 day after chemo but it's supposedly better to get it 3 days after (when the pre-meds wear off).  I find it helps with the swelling and dehydrated feeling I get right after chemo.  Imagine not drinking water for a few days - that's how I feel immediately after chemo.  My cuticles are all fucked up, my boogers are ultra-crusty and impair my breathing, my fingers and tongue are swollen and I have tree trunks for legs.
3.  Your urine will smell like chemo meds for 2-3 days after treatment.  GOD it makes me gag every time.
4.  Chemo patients are generally very friendly and they will tell you all about their cancer and treatment if you ask. Not everyone is angry or sad.
5.  The steroids you get for pre-meds will make you eat like it's the week before your period or a pubescent boy. 

So, let me know what questions you have!  In the meantime, here are some pictures.


A photo posted by Karen (@thekaren) on
I forgot to post #8!




I stopped buzzing my hair and you can tell my hair's still growing!
A photo posted by Karen (@thekaren) on
Vincristine (top) and Adriamycin (bottom)

    
Adriamycin going in me



2 comments:

  1. I have questions! Do you know how high your chances are of needing radiation? How often would those sessions be? Will you still need to protect your immune system during radiation as much as these last 6 months? Last question, are you ready to turn 30?!?! <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have questions! Do you know how high your chances are of needing radiation? How often would those sessions be? Will you still need to protect your immune system during radiation as much as these last 6 months? Last question, are you ready to turn 30?!?! <3<3

    ReplyDelete